Sunday, June 27, 2010

Teslin Tlingit Heritage Center


Wednesday June 16, 2010: Part One


Good Morning :D

I woke up nice and early Wednesday, mostly because the sun was up and shinning. Hard to ignore its brightness. I grabbed my bag and a couple of Toonies (Canadian two dollar coins) and headed to the camp shower. Took a shower and on the way back felt like I was in high school again during one of the summer camps I attended. It was nice. I decided that since I had a free stay in the campground that I would go ahead and have my first hot breakfast, in a couple of days, at their restaurant. Their menu was pretty simple. So I got, eggs, potatoes, bacon, and coffee; the basic breakfast. Their breakfast was a good size and their bacon slices were huge! I left the campground feeling rested and full. Headed back up north to the Tlingit Heritage Center.

Tlingit Heritage Center

After a five minute drive back up the AK Highway I arrived at the Tlingit Heritage Center. Their outside a beauty to see. The center sits on the shore of the Teslin Lake. A beautiful view indeed. As you park your car you have a plain view to the 5 totem poles that welcome you to the center. The totem poles represent the five clans that are part of this Tlingit group and who were present at the opening of the center. The five clans are the beaver, the raven, the fox (I am not sure about this one), the frog, and the eagle.

The Heritage Center itself is a pretty big building with a great center section in which dances and performances go on. There is a DVD to watch about their opening, little history of the center, and the Tlingit people. Then in a nook off to the left side, is where the center’s exhibition exists.


The Exhibition

The exhibition includes a lot of information, for the size it is. It starts with an explanation of the Tlingit’s movement inland into the Yukon via a short recording. One of the things I did enjoy was the recordings that each section of the exhibition had. Each one had a short recording explaining what you were looking at or giving extra information. It was nice because it was done by one of the Tlingit members and their accent makes it even more interesting.







The center then moves on to explaining their trade, history of masks, clothes, hunting, and canoes. I spent a good hour just reading and listening to their culture and history. The museum also has a small gift shop, but very nice. A lot of beautiful gifts, but a little on the expensive side. Although their prices are fair considering their merchandise. It was just expansive for me due to the fact I was traveling. I really enjoyed the Tlingit Heritage Center and was happy I made a stop there. It was around 11am when I was back on the road.



A step back:


Haines Junction and Kluane Lake


I was going through my pictures and realized I forgot to add the pictures for Haines Junction and Kluane Lake. Both these locations were before Whitehorse. So take a look back at that blog to look at the pics. :D

0 comments:

Post a Comment