Friday, June 18, 2010

Anchorage to Tok

Leaving Anchorage

Well to get started I left Anchorage behind schedule, instead of my 7am departure I was exiting the city about 9am. I made my way to the Glenn Highway after making a quick stop at Kinko’s to print out my schedule. Let’s just say that I was excited to get on the road. As I looked ahead I still didn’t comprehend the length of this trip, I think today is the first time I am realizing how long this trip will be.



My missed stop

So, on my schedule, the first stop was Eklutna Lake and since I was already running late I decided to skip it. I regret that now (will explain that later). So, a little sad frown as I passed the lake, but got over it in about 30 seconds. I pressed on to my next stop, that I was definitely making, Matanuska Glacier.
















Matanuska Glacier

I made my stop at the Matanuska Glacier rest area. From there I was able to see the Glacier and its greatness. I wished I was there in the winter to see how much bigger it got, but oh well I was there. I was expecting to find touring guides and such, but realized that was a few more stops ahead. I decided that I would just go ahead and take the little 1 mile hike the rest area provided instead. I grabbed Alaska and headed up the hill. (I really need to start taking pictures of maps and information bulletins because I forget all names.) The hike was just a loop around this hill that got you a little closer to view the glacier plus it gave interesting information as you walked through it.


I will have to admit that as I was going through the loop, all by myself (besides Alaska), I was a bit worried that a bear or something was going to pop out of nowhere and eat me or at least kill me. So the whole time I was wishing I would of taken one of those bear classes Anchorage provided so I would know what to do in case I encountered a bear. *Laughs* Also, I kept remembering how I read in a newspaper article that bears usually never attack groups of people, but usually people who are alone. Anyways half way through the loop I got over it. Mostly because I came around the loop and realized that it was contained and no way a bear could get in.


Took some pictures of the glacier and was disappointed that my camera sucked, later realizing it was my brightness setting that was too high. Anyways the pictures from Matanuska came out okay, but in no way show its beauty. I took the pictures and made my way back up, steep climb up. Breathless I reached the beginning of the loop and headed over to my car.


Matanuska Glacier was definitely worth the stop and the little hike was a nice break from driving. I made my way back on the Glenn Hwy towards Tok.




To Tok

I arrived at Glenallen and moved on from the Glenn Hwy to the Richardson Hwy. That was a short drive before getting on to the Gakona Junction which led me to the Tok Junction. Finally, I arrived at Tok. I thought about staying there for the night, but their hotel/motel price were so much higher than Beaver Creek. I decided to move on. I gassed up and merged onto the Alaska Highway. The beginning of the 1,314 mile journey to Dawson’s Creek, gosh what a long drive.


Coming up, the AK/Canada Border, Beaver Creek, and more.

0 comments:

Post a Comment