Monday, July 12, 2010

Whirlpool Canyon and Cub

Back on the Road

After spending an hour at the Tlingit Heritage Centre I resumed my driving. It was another beautiful day on the road. The sky was a perfect clear blue with engorged white fluffy clouds. It was a lovely day for a drive and crossing over from Yukon to British Columbia.

Whirlpool Canyon

As I drove towards Liard Hot Springs I came upon a Rest Area called Whirlpool Canyon. Now the rest area was just a simple little pull out on the road. It just provided a trash bin, nothing more. The area had been carved with pull in spaces that people had created from staying the night. The great thing about the AK Highway, right after crossing the Yukon Border into British Columbia, is that there are a lot of stops in which people can just spend the night without having to pay for campground space. I was in desperate need of a break and the rest area looked good. I pulled in and for a few seconds there wasn’t anything great to see. As I drove in deeper though the appearance of a raging river appeared. I pulled in into one of the pull in spots and took a walk towards the shore line.







This place was just jaw dropping gorgeous. I couldn’t believe this was just a simple stop on the road. I hadn’t had lunch all day, so I decided to make myself a sandwich and have my lunch/dinner at this spot. It was so peaceful and perfect. I took a seat on one of the many tree trunks laid across as I watched the river flow to the west. The sun shone a bright white across this river. I finished up my lunch and cleaned up.


As I looked across this scenery I decided to get closer. I cleaned up my trash, sprayed myself with bug spray, and headed down to the shore. The floor is mainly made of rocks and tree trunks. It seems that the river used to go up to this area, but has since then backed off and left what one never sees below the water. As I walked across I found a great walking stick. Maria Carbajal was never meant to just walk on two legs. I am the most unbalanced being ever. Once I was able to use this walking stick things got a lot better. I arrived at the shore and just took in the spirit and fierceness of the river in. Ahead of me was the section where the river took a minor downturn south, but it was big enough to create a commotion. I wanted to get closer, but the only way was to go up this little cliff. So, I headed towards it.




I got up the cliff and just stood there, watching down at the beauty of the water swirling around and crashing into itself. Such excitement is indescribable. Its unbelievable. There are no words or pictures that can portray what I felt or saw. I took a seat and watched for quite some time as the river just did what it was made to do.


Time. Time in nature does not exist. It is unimportant and insignificant. While one is surrounded by nature and all of its existance, time becomes insignificant to you as well. Days blur in with each other and dates, days, numbers, all are irrevelant. I arrived at that river with the sun hanging high above me, by the time I grudgingly departed, the sun was setting behind the pine trees. Its white bright color had turn to the orange/red color that is well known with its sunset. I walked rather slowly back to my car and got back on the road. I would of given anything to have been prepared and just camped out there, by that river, but I wasn’t. I cursed my bad planning and moved on. It was 9pm and I still had a couple more hours before coming to my next stop Liard Hotsprings.












Stalking Nature

As I drove happily down the Alaska Highway, on a literal nature high. I came across a black bear cub! I couldn’t believe it!! Thank goodness the hour was late and there weren’t any cars behind me because I slowed down and pulled over in order to stare in wonder at this cuteness. The bear was located on the opposite side of where I was driving so I felt safe because he was obviously oblivious that I was there. He was walking up this path, next to the highway, just sniffing and eating. He walked all across with his head buried in the grass and his little body just walking and swaying. It was the most spectacular sight ever. I couldn’t leave. I couldn’t just keep driving. So, I decided to stalk him. Since there were no cars behind me I decided to just put my car in revers and continue following him. I tried my best to get a clear picture, but all I got was blurry pictures from my camera because he was too far. Every few minutes I would put the car back on reverse and catch up with him again and just watch him, or her, who knows. After about 15 minutes my camera died and I was rather upset because I wasn’t able to get a good shot.




I had been following this black bear cub for about 20 minutes when I just decided that I would actually turn my car around and drive closer to him. I went ahead made a U-Turn and pulled over to the shoulder. I was so close to him, it made me all giddy. Of course, always keeping an eye out for the mama, waiting for her to come out and yell at me, yet no sign of her. I was able to take a better picture of the bear no, but it was via my iPhone. If my camera hadn’t died I could of taken a better picture! Anywhoos I drove along him for a few more minutes before her went up a path back into the forest. I think he got tired of me starring at him. Away he went, with his little behind moving up and down as he walked up this path.

Overall I was there, looking at this bear cub for like 30 minutes, but again it just felt like 5 minutes.



My sunset.

Liard Hotsprings


*Phew* Well finally I made it to Liard Hotsprings around 11pm, but their campsite was closed. So, I pulled over to rest stop, moved all my belongings to the front and fixed my backseat for the night. This time I used some of my clothes to try and make it darker in my car and for a little privacy. It worked rather well. As soon as I laid on the backseat I fell asleep. The end of my third day had finally come.



0 comments:

Post a Comment